Statistics regarding Judicial Applicants and Appointees
October 21, 2016 – October 27, 2017
On October 20, 2016, the Government of Canada announced reforms to the superior courts judicial appointments process. As part of these changes and in order to increase transparency and rigour, the Government mandated the Office of the Commissioner for Judicial Affairs to collect and publish statistics and demographic information on judicial applicants and appointees. Based on voluntary disclosure by candidates through self-identification in the Questionnaire for judicial appointment, these statistics relate to diversity (see p. 3 of the candidates’ Questionnaire) and language proficiency (see p. 6 of the Questionnaire).
|Total||Gender||Diversity||Language Abilities in both Official Languages|
|Male||Female||Other||Indigenous||Visible Minority||Ethnic/Cultural Group or other||Person with Disability||LGBTQ2||Woman||Read court materials||Discuss legal matters||Converse with counsel||Understand oral submissions||All 4 abilities|
|Candidates Highly Rec.1||129||75||54||0||5||13||18||2||6||54||68||55||57||59||53|
|Candidates Unable to Rec.1||230||134||96||0||4||23||46||8||11||96||86||69||65||71||59|
Please note that in addition to the 74 candidates appointed, 12 other judges were appointed or elevated to other courts during the same period; 5 men and 7 women. For example, this would include judges appointed to courts of appeal from the trial level courts. There were therefore 86 appointments during this period.
1. Please note that in their application, candidates may apply to more than one court. A candidate can therefore obtain a rating of "highly recommended" for one court, "recommended" for another and "unable to recommend" for yet another court. For ease of reference, the above statistics reflect the highest rating candidates may have received from the Judicial Advisory Committees.
- October 28, 2021 – October 29, 2022
- October 29, 2020 – October 28, 2021
- October 29, 2019 – October 28, 2020
- October 28, 2018 – October 28, 2019
- October 28, 2017 – October 27, 2018
- October 21, 2016 – October 27, 2017
Please note that statistics prior to October 2016 can be found on the Report of Activity of the Judicial Advisory Committees across Canada page.
- Date modified: